Search This Blog

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Gearing up for another PCT section


The spare bedroom is strewn with gear as I sort out what I want to take on my next PCT adventure. On Thursday my cousin Mikenzie and my aunt Teresa and I will drop a car off at Chinook Pass and then drive to White Pass for a four day backpacking trip on the Pacific Crest Trail. I've wanted do hike this section for years since this is close to my old eastern Washington stomping grounds. I lived on Chinook Pass half my life, but never made it onto the PCT. Now is my time!

Using what I learned on my previous trip with Kelley, I've modified some of my gear and replaced some things. A major change is my water treatment system. I've switched out my steripen for a Sawyer Squeeze filter. It is so light (3 ounces) and so easy to use compared to the steripen, with no bulb or batteries to worry about. We'll see how it goes out on the trail, but just trying it out in my kitchen I can understand why so many people rave about it.

I also shaved 3 ounces by getting a Sea to Summit trowel instead of the U-dig-it cathole trowel. The Sea to Summit has a hollow handle that you can store your toilet paper in, too. I hope it digs okay. It doesn't seem to be as pointy as the Udig.

Clothing wise, I purchased a merino wool shirt to wear while I sleep. I don't really like to sleep in synthetic fabrics. I also bought a pair of merino wool underwear because several women hikers have sung their praises as being comfortable and non-smelly. The pair I bought from Icebreaker seem to dry quickly and are very comfortable.

There is the potential for rain on Saturday and so I've seam sealed my rain skirt and I'm actually looking forward to seeing how my GoLite rain poncho does in the rain. I wish tomorrow was Thursday instead of Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment