Search This Blog

Sunday, February 9, 2014

The Unknown Trail

As I was driving around Coupeville this morning I spotted a trail I've never seen before. It was off Engle Road near Fort Casey and when I stopped to explore it I discovered part of it, at least,  is owned by the Whidbey Camano Land Trust.  There is a nice grassy wide pathway that cuts through head high wild rosebushes. It goes above the beach bluff popping out for an occasional ocean view and I was surprised to see how many old World War II lookouts, most carefully fenced off, there were. They must have lined most of the west side of Whidbey at one time, although several have suffered erosion to the point that they've fallen off the cliffs and you can see the slabs of concrete and rebar laying on beach.

Athough it looks like someone recently built some wooden information kiosks along the trail no information is yet posted. I enjoyed the mystery of exploring the trail which eventually led me to Camp Casey and I discovered that Camp Casey has its own campground complete with tables, firepits, electric hookups and restrooms that were locked for the winter. I so often discover things I never knew when I go exploring by foot.

The Whidbey Camano Land Trust has worked to restore natural prairie vegetation and there are laminated cards for plant identification tied to the fences. I will definately have to come back in the summer to learn about this.

I wonder if some of this trail work is what John Knechtl told me about which will eventually be part of the PNT.

No comments:

Post a Comment