Search This Blog

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Off again

When I went down to Portland for the foreign language teachers conference, Kelley graciously hosted me. While there we began to plot our next PCT hike. I knew I had a 4 day break at Veteran's Day so we made tentative plans to hike from Lost Lake where our hike ended in July to Cascade Locks on the Eagle Creek Alternate. It would all depend on the weather. Snow or even torrential rain would be a deal breaker.

Amazingly, after almost two weeks of rain the weather has cleared and I am typing this on my phone while I wait for the ferry off Whidbey Island. 

Sunrise at the Coupeville Ferry

A fearless seagull hitches a ride

Olympic Mountainsahead off the bow of the ferry

Tamera has agreed to join us as our own personal trail angel again and will camp with us at Whatum Lake tonight, drop us at Lost Lake tomorrow and then camp with us again when we meet her at Whatum Lake at the end of the first day. We are setting up a base camp there so we will be carrying only little day packs when we hike. 

There are no scary river fords on this section and I don't anticipate any real hazards, although the steep drop in elevation to the Columbia Gorge may have my knees screaming for mercy. I am full of excitement for what I will get to see and the awesome company of Kelley and Tamara!

No comments:

Post a Comment