Search This Blog

Monday, December 29, 2014

Unexpected Discoveries

One of my favorite things about hiking are the unexpected things that I discover along the way. I have been hiking sections of the Pacific Northwest Trail during Christmas break in my quest to hit the 500 mile goal I set for myself this year and I have been doing several road walk sections. I want to walk every part of the PNT on Whidbey and Fidalgo Islands and I saved the road walks for the last because in my mind they were the less desirable parts of the trail. 

But I have been pleasantly surprised. Every time I have hiked a section that I thought I wouldn't like I have discovered something unexpected or unknown during that section. For example:
1. The Dugualla Bay Preserve for birds and fish on Dike Road
2. The little white church off Sharpe Road that took me back to my childhood church, complete with outhouse
3. The cows grazing on March Point 
4. Art work and sculpture on the Tommy Thompson Trail
5. Discovering that what I thought was a bridge over hwy 20 at Deception Pass is actually a walkway under the highway.
6. There is a boat launch and a community of little houses under the huge bridge that connects Fidalgo to the mainland.
7. There is a private campground at Camp Casey 

Although I have driven past many of these places multiple times some things you just can't see from a car. When I hike I love amazing views. But the gift of new discoveries is just as rewarding to me as an amazing view, in fact, it may be more rewarding to me. Because now when I drive past these places I can hug the knowledge to myself of that special discovery that I know about that place that other people driving past don't know, because they have not walked it. So here's to road walks, the good, the bad, the ugly and the unexpected.

No comments:

Post a Comment