Search This Blog

Thursday, July 25, 2019

2019 Oregon PCT Part 1, Charleton Lake to Elk Lake Resort

Day 1, July 16, 2019 - Mile 1925.6 to 1934.3 - Charleton Lake Forest Road 5897 to Jezebel Lake,  8.7 miles

After a lovely two day stay at North Waldo Lake Campground with many of our cousins, most of whom we haven't seen in years, it is time for Laurie, Kelley and I to start our PCT hike. We pack up our things and are ready to start for the trail head by 9:30 am. Our cousin, Steve, loads up his car with our packs and he drives us up the road to where we are going to begin. Starting at Charleton instead of Irish/Taylor Road, which was a narrow rough jeep type track that we scouted yesterday and decided against trying to take, will add an extra 5 miles to the trip. Laurie is the one who has to return to work and has the least flexible schedule and when offered the choice of hiking about a mile and a half more per day or taking an extra day to hike, she decides to hike a bit extra. Most of our days were planned for 7-8 miles a day, but now we will be doing about 9.5 per day.

We get out, apply mosquito repellent liberally and Steve takes our celebratory beginning photo. Laurie and I both have full mosquito suits and Kelley has a mosquito head net.
Laurie, Me, Kelley
We are excited to be on our journey and ascend into the woods. The shade is nice to hike in but eventually we break out into a large desolate burned area. The burned area allows us to see quite a ways and we look at the views and think about how lucky we are to be doing what we are doing. We meet a couple thru hikers, Mango and Tough Cookie, and I ask them about the snow ahead. They say that there is still snow on the trail in spots and encourage us to bring our microspikes. 


Laurie and Kelley
Another hiker tells us about a nice place ahead for a break and we round a corner and see a rock to climb up. We take snacks and leave our packs down by the trail and climb the rock for the best view of the day. We sit and look at Lily and Davis Lakes in the distance while we snack on nuts and fruit.
Lily Lake and Davis Lake in the distance.
Eventually we continue on down the trail for another hour until we decide to stop for lunch around mile 1929. I smear peanut butter on a tortilla for my lunch but find that I am not a big fan of flour tortillas. I am using my platypus hydration bladder in my backpack and it is easy to stay hydrated with it. The 5,500 foot elevation is a concern to me. Coming from sea level, I find anything over 3,000 feet to be a challenge, but I hope that sleeping for two nights at 4,200 foot Waldo Campground will have prepared me somewhat. I know that good hydration is key to helping get acclimated since the body has to make lots of additional red blood cells to transport oxygen at higher elevations.

Eventually we reach the Three Sisters Wilderness Boundary where we are supposed to self issue a hiking permit. But alas, the box is completely empty.

We take another rest break at Irish Lake and meet more thru hikers; Tropicana and Farmers Market, and then a girl from Quebec called Produce. The mosquitoes eventually chase us away from Irish Lake and we continue up the trail. It is only about a 200 foot elevation gain but we are finding it challenging and continue to take lots of mini breaks. 

We arrive at Brahma Lake at mile 1933.3 at 2:45 pm and decide to re-hydrate Kelley's white bean and turkey chili. We have to filter some water through our Sawyer Squeeze and Kelley has so much extra chili that she gives some to a section hiker, Greg, who accepts happily. 
Laurie filters water

Brahma Lake
Brahma is a very nice camping spot, but we need to get a bit more mileage in so we continue up to Jezebel Lake. It is smaller and the campsite is small, but we fit all three of our tents in to it and Laurie and Kelley go to the lake to soak their feet while I collapse exhausted into my tent after blowing up my air mattress and shaking out my sleeping bag. There are plenty of mosquitoes and ants and I chase the ants out of my tent and squash the mosquitoes who have dared to enter. 

After resting awhile I come out to eat the re-hydrated turkey bean chili, but I am not very hungry. It seems to be typical that I lose my appetite when I am hiking for the first few days. I filter some more water, wash my feet in the lake and then we all retire to our tents to escape the mosquitoes. We talk about the highlights of the day and all agree that the view of Lily Lake from the rock and Steve's kindness in driving us to the trail head, as well as making a quick stop at the beginning to look at Waldo Lake and walk on the dock when one of us was feeling anxious and overwhelmed and needed a moment to calm down, were our two favorite things of the day.

The moon is full which makes it easy to see in the tent whenever I wake up in the night. I toss and turn on my squeaky air mattress and wonder what the trail has in store for us.

Day 2, July 17, Wednesday -  Mile 1934.3 to 1943.4 Jezebel Lake to Horseshoe Lake 3, 9.1 miles 

I sleep okay, nice and warm in my sleeping bag. It is a windy night and I keep thinking that I hear something like rain, but it is dry when I wake up at 6:00 am. I laze around my tent and eat my cold oatmeal/granola that I re-hydrated during the night and it is pretty good but I don't care much for the banana chips. My feet are sore and my left arch is bothering me a bit, so I do some stretching exercises. Around 7:30 am we all start to pack up to leave. I try to place the heaviest things on the right side of my pack to give my left foot a break. Greg passes us by and compliments Kelley on the delicious turkey bean chili she gave him last night. We are ready to hike by 8:30 am, an hour earlier than yesterday. 
Stormy Lake
We start off with a several hundred foot ascent so we don't carry a lot of water with us. Once we reach Stormy Lake we stop to filter some more water. The mosquitoes are really bad. I am so grateful for my $30 bug suit. Laurie has some allergies and has to be very careful about anything chemical and I also don't like to use a lot of Deet, so we both wear our mosquito suits. Kelley slathers on the Deet and uses a head net to keep the mosquitoes away from her eyes and mouth.

This day we pass lots of little lakes and we take lots of little breaks. We see clouds of orange butterflies. We meet hikers Jack and Jill (they seem oddly clean for thru hikers) and Mary who started in Chesterton and does not yet have a trail name. This inspires us to begin thinking up trail names for Laurie and myself. Kelley goes by 20/20 since in 2014 she had cataract surgery which corrected her vision to 20/20 and she was able to enjoy the stars like never before when we hiked that year. 

I suggest that Laurie go by the name Braveheart, since she has been very nervous to do this hike and yet has come anyway. She thinks that maybe she should be called Cowardly Lion, but I soundly reject that idea, because the fact that she is out here means she is definitely not cowardly. Eventually we compromise with the name Lionheart.

Kelley wants to name me something to do with being the leader and organizer of the trip. Scout? Nah, there is a famous trail angel on the PCT with that name. Compass? Nope, don't really care for that. Nothing she comes up with resonates with me but then we think about how a mama duck leads her ducklings and I am christened as Mama Duck, which is not too far off from my college nickname of Becca Duck. 
20/20's home made belt to keep her pants up

We come across a large blow down, probably about 3 feet high which is quite a challenge for us shorties to get over, but we do conquer it. We stop for a late lunch around 2:00 pm and I have a tuna fish tortilla. We get in to Horseshoe Lake campsite 3 around 4:00 pm and we leisurely set up camp, leaving some space in case any other hikers want to camp there. It is a fairly large camping spot. We filter almost 3 gallons of water to fill our water bladders and have water to cook dinner and breakfast. I realize that somehow I am short a dinner meal, but 20/20 and Lionheart have plenty of extra mashed potatoes and gravy so I eat a bit of theirs.
Lionheart pounds in a tent stake

20/20 and Lionheart cook up mashed potatoes and gray

Filtering more water. Drink, eat, sleep and hike
Eventually we retire to our tents. All day we have been thinking about and discussing our top 10 life experiences, and as I write up my notes for the day on the back of the day's maps, I ask them questions about those experiences. Kelley's top life experiences include skydiving, seeing a UFO, our first PCT hike in 2013, experiencing 9/11 in New York and reporting live on NBC radio from a phone booth downtown as she watched the towers come down, seeing the northern lights in Iceland, performing as a stand up comic, and doing the Dos Lesbos comic tour around the country and in Provincetown.

Some of Laurie's experiences were getting chased by a moose, her experiences in Juneau, Alaska as an emancipated 16 year old, bicycling Europe during college, and visiting Paris at Christmas with her two daughters.

Some of my top experiences are standing on top of Baker Dam and feeling it throb beneath my feet as seven flood gates released torrents of flood waters, my 2013 PCT hike, living in Spain during college, visiting Pompeii, seeing the Jewish synagogue in Toledo empty, waiting for 10 families to return so it can be reopened, driving the Al-Can Highway and experiencing Alaska Fire Camp, and seeing Phantom of the Opera performed.

Around 8:30 pm another hiker comes in and quickly sets up his tent. I think the name he tells us is Charms. We stop talking and I lie in my tent looking through the netting at the lake. I want to see stars but it is very cloudy. Lionheart informs us that is raining and I close my rain fly. It isn't supposed to rain, the forecast is only a 10% chance of rain. I have a Garmin InReach and I get the weather on it. It also says no rain, yet it patters gently on my tent throughout the night.

Day 3, July 18, Thursday - Mile 1943.4 to 1952.6 plus an extra mile to Elk Lake Resort, 10.2 miles

Charm's alarm clock goes off at 5:30 am and he is up, packed up and gone before the rest of us have really stirred from our sleeping bags. The rain is still falling gently but we need to get to Elk Lake Resort. Laurie has parked her car there and we will all be going in to Bend for the night to shower and clean up. Since we camped before starting the hike none of us have showered in 5 days. In the morning Laurie will bring Kelley and I back to the trail and then return to Portland to work. We are rain motivated and town motivated and we pack up our things and our wet tents and hit the trail by 8:00 am. Each day we are a little faster at packing up. 

I put on my rain poncho and Lionheart takes a picture and shows it to me. She says, "You look like a jelly bean!" and 20/20 starts singing the Oompa Loompa song from Charlie and the Chocolate  Factory, referring to Violet the girl who blows up like a big blueberry. All I can do is laugh. 
Image may contain: Rebecca Matteson Roberts, smiling, standing, tree, outdoor and nature

It doesn't take me long to realize that I need my rain skirt on as well. The bushes along the trail are loaded with water and as I break the trail through them they are drenching my shoes and my pants. The rain skirt helps a lot. We hike fast and take very few breaks.
Packed up and ready to go

Cool rock formations near Porky Lake Trail
We finally stop for lunch near mile 1950 in a mosquito infested clearing. The rain has stopped. I pee as fast as I can to try to prevent the mosquitoes from biting my butt, which works pretty well, but I needed to have put Deet on my hands since they are not protected by mosquito netting. Later on I count 22 bites just on my left hand. A beautiful mountain meadow covered in wildflowers becomes our favorite part of that day when we continue.
Larkspur

20/20 crosses a beautiful meadow
Finally we arrive at the Elk Lake Resort turn off, and we see our first real mountain views of the Three Sisters Mountains and Elk Lake. The sun is out and we stop for a moment to take pictures. It feels like a huge accomplishment to be at this point. 
I did it!

We have cell reception here for the first time in 5 days

South Sister?
Two thru hikers, Lawless and Blue, come up the trail from the resort and we all start talking. They assure us that microspikes are not needed in the section ahead. There are a few snowy patches but they are easy to negotiate and have steps kicked into them and I am super excited to receive this news since that means we can leave the microspikes with Laurie to take back to Portland. We chat with Lawless and Blue for almost an hour and I pull out my rain fly and drape it over a tree to dry. My feet are also wet so I take off my shoes and socks, lay the socks on a log to dry in the hot sun and pull out the inserts and dry them in the sun as well, walking around in my shoes without the inserts or socks. I absolutely love hiking in my Darn Tough light wool socks. They are comfortable and not too hot, either.

Finally we decide to continue on and I pack my rain fly and put my socks and shoes back on. My feet are much happier in dry socks and shoes. We arrive at Elk Lake Resort and Laurie decides to reorganize the car to make room for all our packs, so Kelley and I go inside and I get a root beer and then decide to have some real food. We sit at a table and I order a blackened chicken wrap with fries and Kelley gets a beer. My stomach has shrunk and I can only eat half. Kelley helps with the fries and then Laurie eats the other half of the wrap when she is finished packing the car. Elk Lake Resort is a nice hiker friendly little place with outside tables that overlook the lake and marina and I am happy to just hang out there for awhile. 

We drive to Bend and find a room at the Three Sisters Inn and Suites where we all enjoy a long hot shower. We lay our wet tents on the pavement outside the room where it all quickly dries. Laurie and Kelley go to do a load of laundry at the laundry mat while I organize my things and write up some quick trail notes. I had left a resupply box in her car for the second half of the hike and I try to figure out  how much food I will need to bring for the next section, since I always seem to have way too much food.

They return with clean clothing and pastrami sandwiches which we all share. We update on Facebook and check emails and I talk to John before we turn the lights off and sleep like the dead.

Total Mileage for the first three days: 29.5









No comments:

Post a Comment