Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Boston, June 19-21, 2022

When Pounce (Cathe) and I planned our trip to Scotland to hike the West Highland Way, I decided to take advantage of the trip to see the city of Boston. Boston has an urban trail called the Freedom Trail which passes by many historic sites. The trail is blazed with a line of bricks in the sidewalk which makes it easy to follow. I made arrangements to stay two nights and Pounce decided to join me to play tourist as well.

June 19, 2022

I got up at 3:30am to catch the 4:14am shuttle from Coupeville to SeaTac Airport. I arrived to a crazy check-in, eventually figuring out the kiosk and labeling my Osprey pack bag that I put my backpack in for safety on the flight. I joined the line to check the bag and once that was done, continued through TSA. After I made it through TSA I had about three hours to burn, so I ate a quinoa salad for breakfast with a "cold brewed" coffee that was tiny and iced. Then I walked the airport, exploring until I settled down and talked with Pounce on the phone who was still trying to figure out her clothing. 

The flight to Boston was uneventful on Alaska Air. I forgot how flat the USA is once you cross the Rockies. I called the hotel when I landed and they sent a shuttle to pick me up. The Holiday Inn Revere is really nice. I ate buffalo wings and had a cider at the bar and then came to my room. Their black out shades are impressive (double!) and I was ready for sleep after my day of travel.

June 20, 2022

I slept well and after the hotel breakfast walked up the street to the T, Boston's rapid transit train. I took the T to State Street and explored Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market and then took the one hour hop-on, hop-off trolly tour. It was a nice way to get an overview of Boston. 


Dinosaur at Quincy Market


Hop-on, hop-off trolley

We passed the famous golden teapot that has been at this location since 1873. It holds over 200 gallons of water and famously steams in cold weather. Now it is a Starbucks.
After that I went back to the hotel and met Pounce about 11:30am. Pounce's bus from Vermont had been delayed so she was late joining me in Boston. She got situated in the room and we took the T back to the aquarium to eat lunch at Quincy Market. We had clam chowder soup and shared a salad and then walked part of the Freedom Trail. 
Bricks mark the Freedom trail

Site of the Boston Massacre

Lots of political history in Boston

Democratic donkey

As we walked the Freedom Trail we listened to a podcast that described the different sites we passed and some of the history. 
This marks the site of the first public school in America


Five cents savings! Ha!
In the afternoon we took a harbor tour on a boat. It was fun to see the city from the water and we passed Old Ironsides, the USS Constitution. The captain pointed out that the Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge was designed to look like the USS Constitution with the sail lines.


Pounce and I

Old Ironsides

Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge was designed to mimic the sails of the USS Constitution

We ended the day at the Boston Commons and Public Gardens where the Make Way for Ducklings bronzes are.

Me and Mama Duck

Yep, this is the REAL Cheers!

We were tired and our feet hurt (27,000 steps!) so we crossed the street and ate at Cheers. I had fish and chips and Pounce had a burger. Then we had to walk all the way back to the blue line to take the T back to our hotel. We crashed into our beds and slept, especially since Cathe had only had a few hours of sleep the night before.

June 21, 2022

We got up and had breakfast at the hotel and then went to Bunker Hill to finish the Freedom Trail Tour. The USS Constitution was so cool! We got to climb down into the holds and they had interpretive tour guides in period dress that explained things about the ship and answered questions.

Bunker Hill

The USS Constitution

Nicknamed "Old Ironsides" because cannon balls bounced off her

We left that site and continued the Freedom Trail, walking over the bridge. We explored Copp's Hill Burying Ground, one of the oldest cemeteries in Boston and saw the Spite House, so named because it is the narrowest home in Boston and is believed to have been built to cut off the neighbor's light and air.

Spite House
We passed the Old North Church where Paul Revere hung the lanterns to warn of the British invasion and also passed his home.
Old North Church Tower

A period actor demonstrates old printing techniques

Outside of the print shop

Love the old brick streets

We ate Italian food for lunch and then went back to the hotel to get our luggage and take the shuttle to the airport for our 7pm flight.
Logan International Airport

We flew overnight to London, sitting on the upper deck of a huge British Airlines plane in a twin seat. Cathe had the window and I had the aisle. I watched Belfast and In the Heights on the flight and tried to get a little sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment