Search This Blog

Friday, June 30, 2023

New Central Whidbey State Parks Island Transit Route

Island Transit, the free public transportation service on Whidbey and Camino Islands recently added a route that I think is absolutely brilliant. The route only runs from June through Labor Day and it goes to the State Parks around Coupeville. If you want to play tourist for a day this is an amazing way to do it and avoid paying any parking fees. On a budget, or trying to beat the high gas prices? Give this route a try.

Highlights of the route are Fort Casey State Park, Coupeville waterfront and museum, Ebey's Landing State Park and Fort Ebey. It would be very easy to take a full day or two and visit some of the best hiking and scenery on Whidbey Island. 

I take public transportation at times and have never had a negative experience on Island Transit. You do have to pay attention to the times though, since the buses on this route only go from about 8:30am to 4:00pm. Find the route here.

There are multiple awesome hiking places along this route where you can be let off the bus. On Engle Road is the trailhead to Walking Ebey and Admiralty Inlet. The hike at Ebey's Landing is absolutely stellar and you can see the historic Jacob Ebey House which usually is open to the public Thursday through Sunday. 

Get off at the corner of Libbey Road and Hwy 20 and you can hike the Kettles Trail area for miles. Download a map here before you go since it is easy to get turned around on the trails. Take the bus back to Coupeville and enjoy an ice cream cone at Kapaw's Iskreme on Main Street or an adult beverage at Toby's or Penn Cove Brewery.

Recently I flagged down this new bus in front of my house. Stand out by the street and wave your arm at the bus as it approaches and it will stop and pick you up, but along Hwy 20 you have to use the bus stops for safety reasons. I rode it to Fort Ebey State Park, where the driver kindly dropped me at the front gate, and I then hiked the two miles back to my house through the park and along the Kettles Trails.



The smells of the forest and the sight of the greenery soothed my soul as I ambled along. I avoided the stinging nettles but if one was to brush up against them and get stung, just look for a fern, crush up a couple leaves, rub it on the spot and it lessens the sting. 

Beware of stinging nettles

 Ferns and nettles are complimentary plants and grow close to each other

I plan to utilize this service this summer to revisit some of my favorite hiking places on Whidbey. I hope lots of others will join as well. Whidbey is wonderful (there is a reason I live here) but the roads can be crowded with tourists during the summer. What a great way to showcase central Whidbey with less cars! Come visit, but give public transportation a try!

Central Whidbey State Parks bus route and time table


No comments:

Post a Comment